"Phango" container classes

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Wed Oct 3 16:51:36 PDT 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:42:17 -0400, Robert Fraser wrote:

> Charles D Hixson Wrote:
>
>> Alexander Panek wrote:

>>> ...that's basically what Tango does, apart from the fact that it's not
>>> an extension, but rather a replacement. The problem of having two
>>> incompatible runtime libraries (the core runtime, that is) still
>>> persists - it is addressed, though........I think I just repeated it the
>>> 95734897th time now.
>>
>> Except that installing Tango breaks Phobos.
>>
>> (I know, patience.  While I'm being patient, I end up
>> programming in a different language.)
>
> I feel your pain, but D is still a relatively new language

It has nothing to do with D being "relatively" new. The problem is that
there are far too few people who a working on D and its library on a
full-time basis. Thus we get a dribble of output, which enforces the need
for patience. I know there is a such a thing as balance between too many
and too few, but I'm pretty sure we are still on the "too few" side of the
see-saw.

The bottleneck is Walter's ability to encorporate change, whether change
comes from himself or others. This has a direct effect on GDC too as it
can't "outstrip" Walter's output because it doesn't know where D is going
until Walter implements stuff.

>From my uninformed position, it appears that Tango and Phobos can never
co-exist until Walter agrees to replace Phobos' runtime paradigm with the
superior Tango one. And that's is not going to be a simple thing for Walter
to agree to.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia