why simple hello world binary is ~700KB

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Oct 5 01:47:30 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bedros Hanounik wrote:
>> Ok, I tried dmd 2.0 with the same code and got 271KB binary out of it.
>> still huge compared to 6.5KB generated by gcc.
>
> About the smallest "hello world" binary you'll get from a recent version
> of D is 100k.  Prior to 1.0, it was possible to get a 70k "hello world"
> program.  In every case however, cstdlib is statically linked to the app.

s/cstdlib/dstdlib/

Last time I tested, D program was right inbetween the C and C++ programs
(assuming that static libstdc++ library was used, to make things "fair")

So while it was 10x the size of C, it was still half the size of C++...

Even more interesting, the Java version was 10x smaller* than C even :-)
And if you want a *really* small hello world, then /bin/sh is good too.

--anders

* not counting the JRE, that is. it was 100x slower to start, though...