DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Oct 5 19:43:57 PDT 2007

Brad Roberts wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Brad Roberts wrote:

>>> The 1.x branch is for bug fixes.  Where there's changes in Tango that
>>> are specifically fixing bugs in the runtime, those will likely go
>>> into 1.x and 2.x.  However, most of the changes are restructurings,
>>> and those will be 2.x only.
>>
>> You meant changes in Phobos, right?
>>
>> --bb
>
> No, I meant Tango, or at least the runtime layer of it.  It contains
> changes that are bug fixes and changes that are re-structurings or just
> brand new code.
>
> As the changes from Tango are merged into Phobos, those that are
> strictly bug fixes, they will apply to both 1.x and 2.x.  The changes
> that are not just bug fixes will not go into 1.x but will be
> incorporated into just 2.x.
>
> Make sense?

I see, but the same applies to your changes to Phobos, right?  Any
changes you, Walter, or Andrei make to Phobos that are just bug fixes
will also be going into 1.x, I assume.

> There's a natural consequence of this.  For DMD 1.x (and it's Phobos
> 1.x), the Phobos vs Tango split is permanent, essentially, unless Tango
> is changed to sit on top of the Phobos supplied runtime.  I don't think
> that's likely and from my point of view, that's ok.  As D 2.x (and it's
> implementation in DMD 2.x) matures and the runtimes converge, Tango can
> choose to support 2.x and not need to replace the runtime but can
> instead be a darned useful add-on library.

That's not what I was hoping to hear.  Sounds like that puts any kind of
hopes for "the one true D" at least 6 months in the future, since it
requires D2.0 const getting finished (3 more months?), then undergoing
enough hammering that the Tango team feels comfortable porting to it (1
month?), followed by however long it actually takes them to port it (2
months?).

--bb