my ideas for array operations

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Sat Oct 6 04:06:56 PDT 2007

> There seems to be a tendency by some posters to opt for every possible new language syntactic feature under the sun. A good language should be feature rich without being verbose. Whenever there is a new problem to solve first see how the existing tools can solve it. If they can't you may need a new feature. Most of the time they can. Sometimes the code is inelegant and some new syntactic sugar helps.
> So first of all what are the kinds of problem we want to solve.

and there is also a tendency of some to alwayes argue against
integration (not you) - i think most people out there have no experience
in language development, they have much experience in library
development - and they cannot speak in language development arguments

just a question:

how many of these anti-integrators would habe buildin the complex number
  the gc and array slicing/concatenator, mixins and the
default-initalizer stuff into the language?

what would happen if i ask for complex number integration now (in a
world in which D have no support) - i think i would get the same
results: "its too specific", "its a library thing",... "use this
template code..."

is D still in language development phase?

maybe i need a better place for pure language development questions - a
place where do i not receive programatical solutions to my "problems"
but an open dicussion about the pro/cons...

and i know that language development could be like hell - D 2.0 const
stuff i a good example what could get wrong (not everything of it)

all the ideas im trying to talk about are not
we-should-have-this-in-D-in-a-week more like maybe-in-a-year-or-later

ciao dennis