my ideas for array operations

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Sat Oct 6 07:20:33 PDT 2007

>> how many of these anti-integrators would habe buildin the complex
>> number  the gc and array slicing/concatenator, mixins and the
>> default-initalizer stuff into the language?

i know why i like them - it was not a describe-please question
the question is how able (beside walter) are others to define what is
good for integration and what not

>> what would happen if i ask for complex number integration now (in a
>> world in which D have no support) - i think i would get the same
>> results: "its too specific", "its a library thing",... "use this
>> template code..."
>>
>> is D still in language development phase?
>
> Yes. But its target is a production language, not an academic one. If it
> were academic, it would be much more open to new features, but
> programmers have to remember most of the features in the language in
> order for them to be useful.

who said we need another 100 features? and who said that language
features are academic in any way?

> And as Daniel Keep said, map/reduce is a much more powerful, flexible,
> and traditional means of getting these operations. And map/reduce is
> highly parallelizable; a single good implementation can do for specific
> compiler support for a few particular operations.

that looks nice

>> maybe i need a better place for pure language development questions -
>> a place where do i not receive programatical solutions to my
>> "problems" but an open dicussion about the pro/cons...
> Well, you could fork GDC.

i don't want to code - i just want to discuss some things
(and btw my idea seem to be totaly point/sensless - what should i code?)

> Walter's time is not yet relevant to this discussion. My time and my
> memory, as a D user, are.

and thats my problem - the only one introducing new concepts are
walter(and some others) - all others are just fighting for their right
to have all others features library based