DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Oct 6 09:03:21 PDT 2007

Brad Roberts wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>>> There's a natural consequence of this.  For DMD 1.x (and it's Phobos
>>> 1.x), the Phobos vs Tango split is permanent, essentially, unless
>>> Tango is changed to sit on top of the Phobos supplied runtime.  I
>>> don't think that's likely and from my point of view, that's ok.  As D
>>> 2.x (and it's implementation in DMD 2.x) matures and the runtimes
>>> converge, Tango can choose to support 2.x and not need to replace the
>>> runtime but can instead be a darned useful add-on library.
>>
>> That's not what I was hoping to hear.  Sounds like that puts any kind
>> of hopes for "the one true D" at least 6 months in the future, since
>> it requires D2.0 const getting finished (3 more months?), then
>> undergoing enough hammering that the Tango team feels comfortable
>> porting to it (1 month?), followed by however long it actually takes
>> them to port it (2 months?).
>
> I expected that sort of response, which is why I felt it worth making
> clear early on.  Managing expectations is at least as important as
> managing the changes and releases. :)
>
> Putting broader changes into the 1.x code line would mean making changes
> that put it's stability and backwards compatibility at risk.  The very
> definition of a why the 2.x code line was started is to keep 1.x frozen
> to allow developers to trust it to remain stable, both from a bug
> standpoint and an api standpoint.

I'm not sure that bugs are an issue so much as design compatibility,
which would be a real problem if strict backwards compatibility were
necessary.  Tango moves a number of public Phobos modules into the
runtime, and these simply could not be re-exposed.

For what it's worth however, there is already a 1.x implementation of
Phobos which is compatible with Tango: Tangobos.  It's even publicly
maintained.

> I'm not going to attempt to put a time line on the future.. it's too
> unclear to try to guess and my time machine is on the fritz this week.
> Everyone wants convergence, and it will happen, I'm sure.

Yes it will, and likely a bit faster now that Brad is involved in the
Phobos side.  But there are a lot of issues to resolve and we've all
been short on free time recently, so I don't want to predict how long it
will take either.

Sean