DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Oct 6 09:12:15 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>> There's a natural consequence of this.  For DMD 1.x (and it's Phobos
>> 1.x), the Phobos vs Tango split is permanent, essentially, unless
>> Tango is changed to sit on top of the Phobos supplied runtime.  I
>> don't think that's likely and from my point of view, that's ok.  As D
>> 2.x (and it's implementation in DMD 2.x) matures and the runtimes
>> converge, Tango can choose to support 2.x and not need to replace the
>> runtime but can instead be a darned useful add-on library.
>
> That's not what I was hoping to hear.  Sounds like that puts any kind of
> hopes for "the one true D" at least 6 months in the future, since it
> requires D2.0 const getting finished (3 more months?), then undergoing
> enough hammering that the Tango team feels comfortable porting to it (1
> month?), followed by however long it actually takes them to port it (2
> months?).

For what it's worth, Tango will never choose to run exclusively on the
Phobos runtime.  One of the primary reasons many people choose Tango is
for its threading package, and this is a runtime feature.  Therefore,
dropping this package to use the Phobos version would be foolish, and I
suspect that it would leave a number of Tango users (some developing
professional software) in a bit of a lurch.

Sean