DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases - what's wrong with threading?

downs default_357-line at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 6 20:36:08 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> For what it's worth, Tango will never choose to run exclusively on the
>> Phobos runtime.  One of the primary reasons many people choose Tango
>> is for its threading package, and this is a runtime feature.
>> Therefore, dropping this package to use the Phobos version would be
>> foolish, and I suspect that it would leave a number of Tango users
>> (some developing professional software) in a bit of a lurch.
>
> The threading package in Phobos is not very good, as it is based on my
> very poor understanding of the problem. Drop kicking std.thread is
> certainly open for discussion for v2. I wouldn't shed a tear for it <g>.

Maybe I'm missing something here; maybe it's because Phobos' threading
is all I ever used, but what's wrong with it?
I mean, it's threads .. you can start them, halt them, run stuff in them
.. what more is needed? It's a very basic implementation, very close to
the OS; but thanks to synchronized, I generally found it easy to add the
primitives I needed.
Somebody kindly explain. Thanks.

  --downs, confused critter