Garbage collector memory leak "feature"?

David Brown dlang at davidb.org
Wed Oct 10 08:37:15 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 05:29:01PM +0200, 0ffh wrote:

> No, only "conservative" gcs. There are also "exact" gc, but they have one
> big drawback: No void* type at all is possible!
> So either you want them, then you must use a conservative gc, or you don't
> then you can have an exact gc.
> D wants void*, so there is just no way round.

You can have limited void*, if you retain the types in the blocks that are
allocated.  What you can't do is use casts to view things of one type as a
different type.

> It is not technically correct to call prudently retained memory blocks
> a "memory leak". Those are distinct concepts, in my book at least.

It depends on how much gets prudently retained.  My experience so far is
that long-running programs continue to retain more and more memory.  I
would certainly call this a leak.

Dave