std.boxer vs Any

Kris foo at bar.com
Wed Oct 10 09:48:52 PDT 2007

"Aarti_pl" <aarti at interia.pl> wrote in message
news:feibfk$1gnb$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> The original Variant did the toString/toUtf8 trick of formatting its
>> contents just fine, so don't blame me! :)
>>

> I will create ticket for Tango to improve available implementation and fix
> above bug.

Tango tends to avoid tight coupling of perceived "expensive" modules ... for
example, if you want Variant but not the "baggage" of the formatting
package, then you shouldn't have to pay that price. Tango has clear
deliniations (and true decoupling) because of this. Where it makes sense to
do so, we also provide a means of bridging two entities in a nice and easy
manner. This is why Variant does not have toUtf8/toString embedded within
it, but there are a few options on how to cross that bridge.