questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango) - long-term vision

Kris foo at bar.com
Wed Oct 10 10:01:50 PDT 2007

"Aarti_pl" <aarti at interia.pl> wrote in message
news:fei899$1a6c$1 at digitalmars.com...
> As I see there is demand among people for two kind of libraries:
>
> - library for lower level stuff, which should be fast, simple, small, easy
> to learn and use. Possible applications: embedded devices, quick hacks,
> scripting, game's engines, kernel programming etc.

That's Tango :)

> - library for higher level stuff, which gives flexibility, encapsulation
> and easy way to work in big teams. Possible applications: desktop
> programs, advanced networking, distributed computing etc.

That's Tango :)

> That said, I see good place for both libraries here Phobos and Tango:
> - Phobos should do lower level stuff. Functionalities in Phobos which
> belongs to second group should be dropped from it.

And that's where the misconception comes in. The benefits in the high level
of Tango are often based upon the capabilities in the "lower" levels. Which
is why the earlier question had been posed about Tango I/O. You don't get
Tango without the I/O package, because that is one of the definitive
differences between the two libraries. In short, there's nothing in Phobos
that Tango would benefit from. When it comes to I/O, for example, Tango
seriously outperforms every other library we've bothered to test. When it
comes to string processing, the same is true. This is due to the design of
Tango.

> - Tango should do higher level stuff. Functionalities in Tango which
> belongs to first group should be dropped from it.

Tango did not evolve in a vacuum ... it took all the things that were
"wrong" with phobos and fixed them, so you can't revert some of that and
hope to gain anything useful :)

> To sum up:
> 1. Runtime (from Tango) - one library
> 2. Lower level stuff Phobos - second library
> 3. Higher level stuff Tango - third library

You're talking about Tango, all by itself  :)

Perhaps another way to ask these questions might be this:  what type/style
of phobos functionlaity would you like to see in Tango?  BCS hinted at this
early on, and it would be useful to hear more of that ...

- Kris