questions on PhanTango 'merger' - long-term vision

Marcin Kuszczak aarti_nospam at please_interia.pl
Wed Oct 10 14:23:56 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

> Aarti_pl wrote:
>
>> Reply to Lars Ivar Igesund:
>>
>> -----------
>>
>> I decided to skip discussion before, as it seems you misinterpreted a
>> little bit my intentions.
>
> I don't think I did, at least this post didn't give me any other view on
> what you are saying. My problem is probably that you seem to imply that
> Phobos is better suited for what you call low-level functionality, whereas
> I think Tango is _at least_ equally well suited, and unlike Phobos, very
> well integrated with the higher level aspects of Tango (or the other way
> round). Thus I am of the opinion that if you use the higher level
> functionality of Tango, then you generally should also use the lower level
> functionality of Tango. There is no code in Tango that would benefit from
> being built on top of Phobos (as Kris said elsewhere in the thread),
> although there may be code there that may serve as a basis or inspiration
> for implementations in Tango. Indeed, there are modules present in both.
> These are generally fairly standalone modules though.

Thanks, I understand clearly (I hope) your point now.

But I rather would like to accent that currently it seems, that you will
have no choice: Tango *OR* Phobos. Phobos will stay, and because of that
there will be people who will use both: Tango *AND* Phobs.

Both libraries are addressed to same target audience - they compete with
each other. IMHO this kind of competition in standard libraries is not best
thing for *D community* (I am not trying to advocate Tango or Phobos). Some
people will use only Phobos, some only Tango, but I think that most will
use few modules from Tango and few from Phobos. This will cause big mess
because of duplicated functionality in both libraries.

Imagine big development team which work on single program. You will find
everything in it, nevertheless of design rules. One will use Tango net
package and another one std.socket.

Dividing responsibilities between Phobos and Tango would be *Good Thing
(tm)*. That was my main message, and I tried to suggest that setting some
kind of usage policies for Tango and for Phobos would help community in
general.

--
Regards
Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl)