questions on PhanTango 'merger' - long-term vision

Kris foo at bar.com
Wed Oct 10 20:19:02 PDT 2007

"Marcin Kuszczak" <aarti_nospam at please_interia.pl> wrote in message

> usage policies for Tango and for Phobos would help community in
> general.

Speaking of which, Tango exists to /help/ both the community and D progress.
It wasn't written for a giggle or a lark, and has been a truly expensive
proposition (in various ways) for several of those involved <g>

When you step away from the hobbyist level, D would get nowhere fast without
a broad and cohesive library. Tango is designed to be an answer to that, is
generally delivering at this stage, and is set to blossom in the very near
future (wait and see). A number of people feel that something (perhaps
intangible?) is missing and we're trying to get a handle on that, while at
the same time trying to figure out what people really expect from a
phantango merger. What's important to me is this: if a merger does /not/
resolve the pain-points, then it would a worthless and expensive exercise.

To qualify that we need to identify those pain points. That's what this
thread is about, and I'd like everyone to toss something in the bucket. I
mean, there are people here who claim to really dislike Tango. It would be
really helpful if those folks could/would also chime in with what their
specific dislikes are?  Without that, we're kinda running around in the dark
bumping into each other ...