questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango)- long-term vision

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Oct 10 22:18:14 PDT 2007

I'd say a bunch here but most of it would just echo Bill. A few points though:

I have a project that uses only selective imports and has a filter in the
build script to list the imported symbols. here is the list

File
FileMode
MemoryStream
ReadException
SeekPos
Stream
pow
toString
toUTF16
toUTF8
writef

Just for reference...

Another thing. as far as docs go. Tango could use some work. What I ant to
see is, for each sub system, a overview of what it is, how it works (500
ft overview of the whole sub-system) and how to use it. Ideally, this would
all fit on one screen so two, maybe three paragraphs. As an example I'll
use the IO stuff (the lack of this exact kind of docs for the IO subsystem
is one of the *primary reasons* I don't use Tango [*HINT HINT HINT* flashing
red 48pt font]): what I'd want would be a description of what the parts are,
and how they fit together. Here is an example of the type of overview I would
want:

 "a Foo is a source or sink for data like a file or network connection. A
Baz is a pass though filter that does something to it like compression or
encryption. A Bar is a near side end for interfacing with IO, it allows you
to format data, wright raw data, read data, parse data, etc. If you want
to do something like multiplex many data paths over one, you will need to
implement the Baz interface."

That would be a good start. Then go into a bit more detail about what each
part is expected to do.