Garbage collector memory leak "feature"?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:25:00 PDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 03:22:24 +0300, Frits van Bommel <fvbommel at remwovexcapss.nl> wrote:

> Couldn't this be implemented as a lookup table, with elements like
> (start addr, end addr, (pointer to) stack frame description)? Since this
> is only needed when the GC paused all threads (assuming a stop-the-world
> collector) this would allow the GC to walk over all stack frames and use
> the stack frame descriptions to determine which cells contain pointers.

Maybe I'm missing some pieces of the picture, but this mean that every time a value is pushed onto the stack, or the meaning of a value changes, that some bit somewhere is set/reset, possibly involving synchronization? That would be quite a performance penalty (up to 100% in stack-heavy programs), no?

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com