Garbage collector memory leak "feature"?

Thu Oct 11 06:50:20 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:44:04 +0300, Frits van Bommel
>> <fvbommel at remwovexcapss.nl> wrote:
[apparently snipped by Bill]

>> The question is, however: is conservative scanning of the stack that
>> bad? IMO, it's much less problematic just to tell the user to store
>> large amounts of pseudo-random/pointer-like data in the heap or in
>> static arrays (data segment).
>
> My thinking exactly.  Seems like figuring out how to get classes and
> structs with pointers to not scan as all pointers is where the bigger
> payoff lies.  Stacks don't usually contain much pointer-like random data
> I wouldn't think.

You say structs should be scanned, but stacks shouldn't. In my
experience, structs are quite often stored on the stack...

(Unless you meant heap/statically-allocated structs instead of structs
in general)