named parameters to functions

Zola nospam at please.com
Thu Oct 11 08:00:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm amazed by some things D does have,
Except I'm puzzled by this one one gaping hole in D.

It's something I've been pissed off about C++ for 10 years now:
Named parameters to functions.

window* w = new_window("alert box", movable=false);

We can almost do this in C++ today with boost.parameter and I hate it so much that I refuse to use it, because the only way to do so is by polluting your namespace.

I'm really surprised to see that D doesn't have this super important feature.
It redefines and simplifies a whole world of class design.. for user interfaces especially.

If D included this, I think it would be the tipping point to really getting me into D, and making a serious library for it.

Please.

- Z