questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango) - long-term vision

Kris foo at bar.com
Thu Oct 11 10:08:04 PDT 2007

"Christopher Wright" <dhasenan at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fel8ir$1crd$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I don't care about free functions versus objects, but I care about the
> amount of typing I have to do. And it seems that object names are about as
> long as function names, and method names are about as long as function
> names, so using an object-oriented interface involves twice as much
> typing.
>
> If you had "alias formatln fln" in Print, for instance, I could just
> write:
> Stdout.fln("whatever");
>
> That's about a three character penalty above writefln, which I wouldn't
> notice. The current seven-character penalty is slightly annoying.

Noted, and thank you

> I don't like instantiating objects in order to do a simple test:
> if (new FilePath(path).exists && !new FilePath(path).isFolder) {
>    // do stuff
> }
>
> versus:
> if (Path.exists(path) && Path.isFolder(path)) {
>    // do stuff
> }

This is definately a pain point I've heard often. The approach in Tango
would be something like:

auto path = FilePath ("some path");
 if (path.exists && !path.isFolder) {
    // do stuff

That's not so bad, is it? But yeah, I'd really like to hear more about this
one in particular, because it seems to be a litmus test in some ways.
Thanks!
.