questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango) - long-term vision

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Oct 11 16:42:37 PDT 2007

Chad J wrote:
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> I don't like that either :-)  I think it's an artifact of earlier
>>> design iterations.
>>
>> Then you could add "alias Cout cout", I guess. Anything preventing that?
>
> afaik, you can't import aliases.  So that alias would only apply to the
> file it's in, not to the user file importing it.
>
> You could just ...rename it... ;)
>
> I would actually appreciate a library willing to modify and deprecate
> stuff to get rid of old idiosyncrasies.

Kris explained this one to me.  Global singletons are declared in
CamelCase to both identify them and to reduce the chance of collisions
with local variables.  But I don't like that it's inconsistent with
other variable declarations and I'm not sure name collisions would be an
issue anyway.  So YMMV.  As an aside though, if the CamelCase convention
were dropped, we may need a different name for Stdout, since it would
collide with the C symbol of the same name.

Sean