questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango) - long-term vision

Kris foo at bar.com
Thu Oct 11 22:00:11 PDT 2007

"BCS" <ao at pathlink.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> I'm a cycle snob. How hard it is to code, how hard it is to get it to do
> what I want and *how long it takes to run* are of equal importance to me.
> With tango's use of chained calls (not exactly free from a performance
> standpoint) is a small minus in my book.

This is worth discussing, since I'm sometimes a cycle-snob also :)

Chained calls actually cost /less/, since the dispatch is decided at
compile-time rather than runtime. In other words, chained-calls don't have
to go through a big switch statement to figure out the type and dispatch
based upon that. Thus, purely from a runtime cycle-count, chained calls
really /are/ more efficient (for the kind of thing we are talking about).
This is one of the reasons why Tango uses chained calls in some aspects of
the IO model.

:p