Key issue for PhanTango?

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Fri Oct 12 01:52:26 PDT 2007

Kris wrote:
> I'm going to push this up for comment since I suspect it is a key factor:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60063
>
> Opinions?  Is this what matters to people?

I think Michael hit the nail on the head:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60065

I don't use Tango at the moment because it's incompatible with Phobos.

That said I have only worked on what I would call "toy" projects in D so
far, so it may be that if I had a pressing need I would go to the
trouble of figuring out how to install and use Tango.

In my ideal world I would be able to write code using modules from both
Phobos and Tango at the same time and with no more hassle than "download
and provide the paths to the compiler".  I want to be able to cherry
pick the functionality I need without restriction.

That said, I would accept restrictions to how they can be used together,
say for example that I could not mix calls to phobos IO and tango IO and
expect them to buffer/interleave correctly in the output.  (This may
even be solvable with some optional common buffering of some sort, who
knows)

So I guess my basic position is that the core runtime stuff i.e. object,
exception, the GC, etc needs to merge (and may the best one win) and the
rest (both phobos and tango) should be layered on the top in some
coherent fashion either as 1 library or several.

Regan