Key issue for PhanTango?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 02:43:21 PDT 2007

Kris wrote:
> I'm going to push this up for comment since I suspect it is a key factor:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60063
>
> Opinions?  Is this what matters to people?

I've worked hard on a lot of the libraries I've written so that they
work in both Phobos and Tango out of the box.  One that I'm working on
currently is my XML library.

Usually, the differences between Tango and Phobos aren't that big.  For
instance, my Variant type had a small set of functions at the top that
abstracted the differences between Phobos and Tango without too much
trouble.  Even the toString/toUtf8 thing can be worked around by having
a free templated function that switches for you.

The big one I'm running into at the moment is IO, basically due to the
large differences between the two.  I'm considering writing a very
simply util.io library that allows for basic reading/writing on either
Tango or Phobos streams, depending on which is being compiled.

But really, the only thing that I can't work around easily is the fact
that the runtimes are incompatible.  Pretty much everything else can be
dealt with.

I think that we should just concentrate on getting both running on the
same runtime (which, let's face it, is probably going to end up as
Tango's runtime).  Higher-level compatibility can be taken care of as
needed.

Just my AU$0.02.

	-- Daniel