Key issue for PhanTango?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Oct 12 04:54:27 PDT 2007

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60063

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=59960

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=59989

> which is my vision of coexistence of both libraries peacefully together.
> :-)
>
> But from different posts I can see that compatibility (in meaning that
> both api's will be allowed) is not decided yet.

Compatibility with Phobos as far as the Tango team is concerned, has always
been about the runtime, meaning that both libraries should run completely
and correctly on top of the same runtime. Now, not even this is easy. For
all practical purposes, Phobos will have to almost literally import all of
Tango's runtime for Tango to work on top of Phobos'. The other way round is
probably much easier as shown with Tangobos.

> It will be really loose-loose situation when D user will have to decide
> which library is she using, and then will not be able to use other
> libraries from "opposite camp".

In general you can as long as the runtimes are compatible. Overlapping
functionality may become a problem in terms of compatibility if one library
uses Tango and the other Phobos for say IO streams, but as said earlier.
Making Tango (any part related to IO especially) a wrapper around Phobos
don't at all make sense in that respect, and will not happen. If someone
wants to do the opposite, or create a wrapper around both, sure. You seem
to think that the Tango team should be ahead of such a process, but
considering that we already solved our problems by not using Phobos, that
would be a turn in the wrong direction for us?

Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango