Identifier too long - Should this be considered a bug?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sat Oct 13 08:36:39 PDT 2007

Reply to Daniel,

> I seem to recall something a while back about taking the mangled names
> and compressing them, but I'm not sure what happened with that.

thay are now.

> Although I do think this shouldn't really happen, it only crops up
> every once in a blue moon.  As far as I can remember, the only other
> person to hit this was Kirk.

I have hit it to.

>  Given that fixing this properly would
> mean significant changes to the linker and the DMD backend, and that
> the limit is pretty huge anyway, I'm not sure if this should be a
> priority.

Several solutions have been suggested (use the MD5 has for instance) but
nothing has happened. At this time the solution is to work on Linux (ELF
object files have not symbol length limits) but you still get blotted files
and sooner or later DMD will run out of RAM (I've pushed it to 1GB).