Key issue for PhanTango?

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 16:43:45 PDT 2007

Kris wrote:
> I'm going to push this up for comment since I suspect it is a key factor:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60063
>
> Opinions?  Is this what matters to people?

I don't feel that one needs to be able to use both libraries
in the same module, but when linking modules together it is
important that it not matter that they have been compiled with
the same library.

I.e., if I get library A from one source and library B from
another source, I should expect to be able to link both into
my program...and it shouldn't matter whether I'm using Phobos
or Tango, or which the libraries used, except insofar as
dependencies that need to be satisfied.

For that matter, if one file is opened with one library, I
don't insist that the other library be able to operate on it
without closing and reopening it.  (EXCEPTION:  stdin, stdout,
and stderr should be dealt with using methods that are
compatible and allow interleaving...though this might be
allowed to affect the order of line transmission on a
line-by-line basis.)