Mainstream D Programming

David Brown dlang at davidb.org
Sun Oct 14 10:55:18 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 06:44:53PM +0100, Janice Caron wrote:

>However, Bruce's point will not be erased by any amount of hyperbole.
>When I program in D, I use a text editor, not an IDE. To be sure, it's
>a programmer's text editor, with syntax highlighting; one that knows
>how to build D, and jump to the line causing any error, but still
>ultimately just a text editor. And it is more than adequate for the
>task.

I have not, and still do not use an IDE for development.  To me, once
learned, the features of a good programmer's text editor far outweight any
extra features an IDE might have.  About the only thing missing is
completion, but that's because nobody has yet taught 'vim' how to do D
completion.  It does a fairly good job just guessing based on what other
things are in my files.

None of this means that someone shouldn't get various IDEs to work with D.
I'm just pointing out that there are still a large number of developers who
don't use them, and don't really find them all that useful.

David