Mainstream D Programming

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 14 14:07:40 PDT 2007

On 10/14/07, David Brown <dlang at davidb.org> wrote:
> Also, I tend to deal with lots of code in lots of different projects,
> rather than a single project.  I find it better to have powerful, but more
> general functionality, than a tool that often doesn't even know the
> languages that I'm working with.

That's a very good point, and one with which I must concur. While I do
use Visual Studio at work, I never bother with it at home because it
doesn't know about all the languages I use. Sure it can do (a
microsoft dialect of) C and C++, but it knows diddly squat about PHP,
Javascript, or D. A powerful text editor, on the other hand, can
easily be equipt to deal with any language whatsoever, and therein
lies its true power. It is infinitely upgradable, and can be retooled
for any new purpose just by editing text files ... for which of
course, it serves as its own tool.

If IDEs were so great, there would be no talk of making an IDE "for
D". Rather, your existing IDE would already be capable of doing the
job.