Mainstream D Programming

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sun Oct 14 14:05:43 PDT 2007

Reply to Robert,

> David Brown Wrote:
>
>> The problem is that when one uses a specific-focus refactoring tool,
>> they are limited to the transformations that the authors of the tools
>> have thought of (which is still a very useful set), but without the
>> general-purpose text transformations available in a good programmer's
>> editor, one can easily miss other types of refactoring that are also
>> quite useful.
>>
> Most IDEs have regular expressions, etc. -- the features available in
> a good "programmer's editor" are a subset of the features available in
> a good IDE.

Maybe what is needed is a pure refractor. A library intended to be built
into plugins or standalone tools that does refactoring. It would not be intended
to be an editor, attached to an editor, yes, part of it, no. It would be
interesting to build it such that it can take plugins (a plugin for a plugin
:) that doe the actual work.

I'm betting it has been done somewhere. Maybe we should try it with D.