IDEs (Was: Mainstream D Programming)

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sun Oct 14 14:14:58 PDT 2007

Reply to Robert,

> I think the point is that IDEs, while not essential, can certainly do
> a lot of things that are helpful. For example,
>
> * Show exactly where in a huge string mixin an error occurs

* do "code folding on mixins, it would look like a a folded up block but
when expanded would show in place the actual text of the mixin. It might
even be nice to have some sort of string construction trace ("this identifier
was build by the concatenation of this template and this CTFE, would you
like to step through either of them?")

* breakpoint template debugging
** walk the tree of templates
** unroll tuple foreach and fold up unused static if blocks

* compile time breakpoints on CTFE