Tango compatability with Phobos

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 16:03:26 PDT 2007

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> Until we reach a merged, agreed by all one API, there is no standard
> library for D in my mind.

"agreed by all one API"  Yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen.  Ever.
 You're asking programmers to unilaterally agree on a large, complex topic.

These are the people who continually rewrite stuff because of "not
invented here" or "don't like the capitalisation on the identifiers" or
"because I felt like it" syndromes... :P

> P.S
> i'd prefer either be able to import Cout and just have two functions
> like print/println with formatting, or changing Cout to out (no upper
> case letters, and without C-style shortcut names)
> I prefer more readable java style with camel case full names rather than
> c/c++ 3 letter abbreviations like ptr instead of pointer, buf instead of
> buffer and etc.. (we all know that we read code a lot more than we write
> it, so it's better to write longerIdentifierNames which would be easier
> to read and understand later)

See, and I prefer the terseness of C.  One thing that always made me
want to throw the computer out the window when programming Java was the
fact that every damn statement took, at minimum, three lines to do
anything constructive just because all the identifiers were so bloody long.

I want to write code.  Not a dissertation.  When you've got names that
long, you just end up with this dense, unreadable mess.  Besides, if the
names are a little bit cryptic, people will actually take the time to
carefully read the code to make sure they understand it instead of
assuming they know what it means, which is *clearly* better.

Give me function names I can type in under three seconds and some decent
comments any day.

And that's the problem.  I think that for some people Phobos is better
because it's a lot like the standard C library.  They like it like that.
 That's why I think all the calls for a complete merge are a bit silly;
D's unique AFAIK in that it's got a very lean, simple API and a much
more powerful, more complete API.

Make them compatible, sure, but keep them separate.  Don't take away our
toys just because *you* don't play with them.  :)

	-- Daniel