Free functions versus member functions

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 05:27:28 PDT 2007

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 10/15/07, Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Basically:
>>
>>   s.find(...)
>>
>> and
>>
>>   find(s, ...)
>>
>> become equivalent.
>
> Almost equivalent? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the former is capable
> of polymorphism while the latter isn't?
>
> I think this uniform call syntax idea is /brilliant/, by the way. I'm
> all in favor it. Just being clear here.

Equivalent from the point of view of the person using it.  They're
*obviously* not equivalent in how they're implemented, where they're
kept, or how they're mangled.

I just didn't want to do a Raymond Chen and write the long, boring
disclaimer where I precisely qualify every thing I said that could
potentially be misinterpreted.

I really don't have the patience for that.  :)

	-- Daniel