Eclipse startup time (Was: questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango)

torhu no at spam.invalid
Mon Oct 15 07:23:46 PDT 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>> What Eclipse version and bundle are you using? Have you installed any
>> extra plugins? What is your starting perspective? What is your PC specs,
>> and Java VM version?
>> And what do you mean by "unbelievably slow" ? (Give me a measure in
>> seconds :) )
>
> 80 seconds on a 1GHz Pentium M laptop. Standard Eclipse C++ download.
> That's more than 4 times longer than my text editor needed on my Commodore 64,
> loaded from an audio cassette tape.

I've got the CDT download too, plus Descent.  JRE 1.6u1, 1.3 GHz Athlon
tbird.  Eclipse starts up and loads an empty D workspace in 23 seconds.
  Probably faster if I disable cdt, cvs, etc.  You can try going into
help->software updates->manage configuration and disabling everything
except platform, rcp, and descent, and see if that helps.

I've got a relatively fast HD, plus a cpu that's probably a bit faster
than yours.  And possibly faster transfer between the cpu and RAM too.
I guess eclipse just wasn't made for old laptops.  But once it's done
or ctrl+3.  I'm sorry if you knew this already. :)

MSVC 6 starts in 2-3 seconds, but has pretty limited D support on the
other hand.