Eclipse startup time

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Mon Oct 15 13:40:56 PDT 2007

Chad J wrote:

> Fresh eclipse install.
> Windows XP on an AMD Turion 4000, with 1 gig ram.  160 gig notebook
> harddrive, nothing special.
> It takes ~23 seconds to start up first time.
> It takes ~5 seconds to start up subsequent times.
> Unfortunately, I can measure the time it took to start up by using only
> my wristwatch.  This is on a reasonably fast computer, though it is
> dated by a couple years (it WAS very fast).

I bought a new dual core PC a while ago because it seems people expect
developers to mostly use Eclipse or Netbeans. I wanted to use Descent too.

Subsequent startup still takes ~12 seconds (SDK + 4 small language/svn
plugins), first time maybe twice that. Luckily it's quite snappy now after
starting up so it doesn't matter if you leave the PC on all the time. PC is
2.1 GHz Core2Duo, 2GB dual channel DDR800, raid-0 disk ~100MB/s, Kubuntu
Gutsy.

Of course it still feels slower than Kate 2.5.8 on Pentium MMX/200 in some
ways, but Kate only has maybe 50% of the functionality. One annoying thing
is the Descent parser seems to have issues parsing braces. It hangs and
gives out of memory exceptions every 30 minutes. Let's hope the next update
fixes these. :)