Eclipse startup time (Was: questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango)

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:25:45 PDT 2007

Mike Parker wrote:

> Wow! Startup time is an odd criterion to use to write off an editor as
> not delivering. The features of Eclipse far outweigh the 23 seconds of
> start up time. When I'm working with Java, Eclipse is my hero. There are
> very few IDEs out there that deliver as much.

We probably just have quite different work flows.
I frequently drift between coding, communication, schoolwork, and
various other dimensions of my life on my computer.  Being able to jump
in and out of a few sources files at a moments notice is useful.

I may be talking to someone who says "hey check out this source file",
so I give it a glance and then close it.  I don't like leaving programs
open because it causes screen clutter; something I suffer enough from as
it is.

But if you're someone who works the 9 to 5 and opens up the editor in
the morning and closes it in the evening, then yeah startup time is
insignificant.