The great compromise of the D standard library

Ender KaShae astrothayne at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:05:17 PDT 2007

I have great misgivings over the divide among the D community between standard libriraries.  The contintion will no doubt eventually lead to a  schism reduce the reusibility of D code.  I suggest the following compromise:

1.) Phobos and Tango are combined into a single Standard library, as Phobos seems to be lower level, it would make sense for Tango to call Phobos functions and for alias's to be made between equivilent entities that exist in both libraries

2.) Programmers are incouraged to contribute to the new standard library

3.) Walter will remain the final say on what contributions are added to the library

4.) The name for the standard library will be neutral between Digital Mars and DSource

I believe this compromise will address most of the issues though it would have to be agreed upon by both factions.  This has the additional advantage have creating a library with both low level procedural and higher level object-oriented parts.  This hybridization is one of the things that attracted me most to D in the first place.

as an aside I believe there should be a more standardized way to suggest changes to the D language