Change representation of dynamic arrays?

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:28:55 PDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is true, but remember that this is for D 2.0.  If someone honestly
> expects to be able to take code written three years ago when the
> language was still in flux (and which, mind you, likely won't even
> compile with the current 1.0 compiler) and compile it on 2.0 without
> issues is, in my opinion, delusional.

I would expect it to fail to compile, and I would also expect to be
able to use the compiler errors (or in extreme cases, runtime asserts)
to tell me what needs to be changed. What I don't expect is no
complaints at all, just a runtime, hard to debug, crash. (That's
especially important if you're using code you didn't write yourself).

> think that removing it from object so that it can't be used without
>explicitly importing it would be sufficient.
>
> Maybe sticking a deprecated attribute on the printf declaration would
> also help.  Maybe with a message saying "No, you want writef.  Seriously."

Both are excellent ideas.