D vs. C#

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Oct 20 14:11:54 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:

> I have some advanced knowledge of programming with C and C++. While I
> like C for its simplicity and speed, it lacks some important
> functionality (like OO). I'm not very fond of C++, since it is quite
> clumsy. (But you know all that already)

Lots of us escapees from C++ here using D,
but myself I know Java more than I do C#.

Although Java and C# probably has similar
pros/cons when compared to the D language.

> Anyway, I was looking for a new programming language for little
> projects. I looked into the specs of the D language and became quite
> fond of it. Anyway, I hear a lot of good things about C# as well.

You might also want to check out Vala,
which looks like C# but compiles to C.

More info at http://live.gnome.org/Vala
(requires GLib and uses GObject system)