The great compromise of the D standard library

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sat Oct 20 15:39:13 PDT 2007

Thayne McCombs wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:
>
>> Ender KaShae wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, I obviosly didn't understand everything about tango, and my
>> > compromise was a  little rash, however in my first point I believe I
>> > was
>> > misinterpreted, though I can see why.  When I said Tango should call
>> > phobos functions I was assuming that phobos would first be fixed to be
>> > just as efficient as Tango.  AS it is these are the issues i have with
>> > tango:
>> >
>> >  2.) it does not ship with DMD
>>
>> This is ambigious and thus half wrong :) DMD don't ship with Tango, but
>> Tango ships with DMD.
>>

> the issue is that there is no garantee that you get the latest version of
> dmd (in fact when i when just downloaded tango it came with v. 1.021)

Potentially a problem, yes, but you also get a version that has been tested
with Tango. DMD releases breaking Tango have happened many times. Feel free
to request status for newer versions if we seem un-neededly late.

Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net
DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
Dancing the Tango