D vs. C#

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 20:56:55 PDT 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> > I think Microsoft's longer term vision is to have .NET everywhere
> > and I mean everywhere.
>

> I've never been able to discover what the fundamental advantage of a VM is.

I'm sure there are a lot of advantages, but here's one I can think of off the top of my head: say you're designing an application for mobile devices/smartphones. There are a lot of different phones out there, probably all with different APIs (or no native API accessible outside the company that made the phone), but if your software is running in a VM it'll run the same everywhere. Now say you're a cell phone manufacturer introducing a new smartphone -- adding the VM makes all the software written to use that platform instantly compatible with your device.