D vs. C#

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Sun Oct 21 22:54:52 PDT 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
> > I think Microsoft's longer term vision is to have .NET everywhere
> > and I mean everywhere.
>
> I've never been able to discover what the fundamental advantage of a VM is.

When I said everywhere, I guess I was thinking more in terms of software.

For example, I've heard stories the latest Microsoft SQL Server lets you embed C# code directly into the SQL stored procedure code.

Also, I suspect it won't be long before C# takes over from VBA and becomes the embedded scripting language of choice for all Microsoft software.

While VBA was really nothing more than a toy language, C# adds far more power as it gives the scripts access to the .NET framework.