D vs. C#

Radu radu.racariu at void.space
Mon Oct 22 07:08:47 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some advanced knowledge of programming with C and C++.
> While I like C for its simplicity and speed, it lacks some important functionality (like OO). I'm not very fond of C++, since it is quite clumsy. (But you know all that already)
>
> Anyway, I was looking for a new programming language for little projects. I looked into the specs of the D language and became quite fond of it. Anyway, I hear a lot of good things about C# as well.
> I am not experienced enough to compare the two simply on the basis of their specifications. I tried finding some comparison on the internet but failed to find anything more recent than from 2003.

Hi Mike,
both languages and their respective development arsenal are well suited
for a specific pool of tasks.

C# has the benefit of a corporate backing with great toolset, vast
libraries, good documentation and a large community.
Purely as a language, I consider it as mediocre, a better Java as others
put it, but this doesn't necessary subtract the potential value of it
when combined with the library, IDE, documentation, community and
industry support (jobs...).

D on the other hand is a better,cool language, with some great
potential. Even if right now it's library set is not as vast and
orthogonal, progress it made every day on improving the situation. IDE's
and debuggers are developed (some already usable), packaging, build and
distribution solutions are provided. It's community, even if small,
packs a lot of smart people, a situation rarely seen on Java or .Net
side :) and you learn *a lot* form them.

Now, purely addressing your needs for a language geared towards
developing small utilities you have to options(in my opinion of course):
If you are distributing your programs to a limited audience like a
corporate department or to an environment you can easily control .net +
C# is the easiest and painless way.

On the other hand if you are distributing you apps. to a larger
audience, especially if you are doing it for profit, .Net will cost you
dollars! Its large framework and sometimes its perceived lack of
responsiveness plus the large resource hogging (a common sin of the VM
be it Java or .Net), can be roadblocks for attracting potential users.
Here D and its compiled nature can help you greatly, the lack of a vast
library is an advantage now as you can control what goes in, the
performance is better (if you code correctly) and your users are happy.
You will be happier as the language puts a smile on your face most of
the times :).

That being said I hope I was of some help.

Regards,
Radu