D vs. C#

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 22 11:22:50 PDT 2007

Lutger wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> I've never been able to discover what the fundamental advantage of a
>> VM is.
>
> I thought the .NET platform was developed with the intent to replace
> COM?

I don't know what MS's reasons were, but it seems strange to replace COM
with something inaccessible from C++ (the main language used to
interface with COM).

> And by extension, complementing and / or replacing the C way of
> cross-talking between languages for application development.

Except that .net cannot talk to C or C++ code, which are the usual
languages for applications.

All languages need to interoperate are a standard calling convention,
not a wholly different environment.