D vs. C#

Julio César Carrascal Urquijo jcarrascal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:22:25 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> I've never been able to discover what the fundamental advantage of a VM is.

The only advantage a VM has over native code that I see is security. I'm
  not talking about this process can't write memory of another process.

I'm talking about this process can't write to the hard disk, only to
Isolated Storage; but this one can because it's signed by a Thawte
certificate and the VM.

This is a lot more than disallowing pointer arithmetic. I'm not aware of
any compiled language that has managed to do this.

On the other hand, most .NET developers ignore CAS (Code Access
Security) in their apps, so it doesn't seem like a great advantage anyway.

--
Julio César Carrascal Urquijo
http://www.artelogico.com/