D vs. C#

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 18:35:47 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> Bruce Adams wrote:
> >
> > An interpreter itself is relatively small. I can only assume that a
> > lot of the bloat is down to bad coding. If you look at games these
> > days they weigh in at a ridiculous 4Gb install. No amount of
> > uncompressed data for performance gain excuses that.
>
> It's not the code that makes modern games eat up 4Gb of space, it's the
> textures, animations, 3D models, audio, video cut scenes, etc.  The code
> is a pretty small part of that.
>
> --bb

That's partly my point. A lot of that could be achieved programmatically or with better compression. You get map and model files (effectively data structures representing maps and model) that are huge and hugely inefficient with it, describing low level details with little or no abstraction. E.g. a pyramid might made of points rather than recognising a pyramid as an abstraction. Some bright sparks have decided to use XML as their data format. Its only a little bigger and only takes a little extra time to parse. This costs little on a modern machine but can hardly be considered compact and efficient.