D vs. C#

0ffh spam at frankhirsch.net
Wed Oct 24 03:55:03 PDT 2007

Bruce Adams wrote:
> 0ffh Wrote:
>> Well, I still have my FPGA kit.... heh! =)
>
> I was going to raise that point. I think FPGAs are still too small, slow
> and expensive to compete at the moment but perhaps in the future.

Actually, I find FPGAs quite affordable already. It's just the development
software used to be incredibly expensive, but that has changed a few years
ago (at least for some manufacturers).

> How are you finding your kit?

It's fun but not much use without a hardware guy around.
Luckily I know a few... =)

> I was thinking about getting some kit a while back. Have you
> got a D 'compiler' for it or indeed anything that turns higher level
> code (other than VHDL) directly into hardware?

No, I'm using Verilog and dreaming I had something /much/ better.
VHDL is sure not it. I kinda like ABEL (no kiddin) because it's just so
incredibly easy to use, but people keep telling me it scales badly or
whatever.

Regards, Frank