Mainstream D Programming

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Oct 25 17:20:08 PDT 2007

Peter C. Chapin wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>

>>Peter C. Chapin wrote:
>>
>>>Actually it probably would be even better to compile D into C if one was
>>>going to do something like this. C compilers are even more common than
>>>C++ compilers.
>>
>>This came up again recently in a discussion on rewriting the D front end
>>into D. The problem is bootstrapping gdc onto new platforms without
>>engaging a cross compiler. It doesn't seem to be very workable.
>

> A D2C compiler would probably have to be written in C to be effective.

We're mixing two separate things here. For one thing, the compiler might
be efficient, for the other thing, the resulting program (the binary)
could be efficient.

Probably most users would choose the binary to be efficient, if given a
choice. For that to happen, the compiler could be written in any
language (including Perl, Python, even any esoteric and unpractical but
maybe academically commendable language).