D worth using for large project?

NCODA jastoms at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 01:02:50 PDT 2007

I'm a C++ programmer. For a large project, I have been looking at starting to use D, but I've found quite alot of problems getting even a sample compiled. According to the documentation it looks like an AWESOME language, but is D commercial ready? My concerns are ...

 - no out-of-the-box IDE support in windows
 - this website, the forum search doesn't work! making it very hard to find information
 - the compiler switches don't work according to samples (eg. -c doesn't have any affect, and i need it for use the CodeBlocks IDE)
 - compiler gets confused when passing multiple filenames on the command line, and ends up trying to compile a seperate executable for each file
 - small commercial take-up

I know I'm probably doing some things wrong, but I cannot find any help. Does anyone recommend using D or not, and is the D community strong enough to fight through its short-commings?