D worth using for large project? (And what IDE?)

Jascha Wetzel firstname at mainia.de
Mon Oct 29 06:36:22 PDT 2007

NCODA wrote:
> Does anyone know how to properly get DMD to work with Code:Blocks? I've managed to get a console app compiled, but no luck with the windows one. I copied the windows sample from this website, but get these errors
>
> OPTLINK : Warning 23: No Stack
> .objs\test.obj(test)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D6object6Object8opEqualsMFC6ObjectZi
> .objs\test.obj(test)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D6object6Object5opCmpMFC6ObjectZi

This isn't a CodeBlocks problem, link is missing a main function here
(although it doesn't bother to tell you). The /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS linker
switch should fix it.

> BTW - Does anyone else compile for windows? and what IDE do they use?

I do. I used to use CodeBlocks, but i found it less effective for D
development due to it's C/C++ orientation. Especially it's build system
and code navigation facilities work with D "by accident" rather than "by
design".
Now i use SciTE with SEATD for code navigation and dsss/rebuild or bud
for building. Editing a small text file with options turns out to be
easier and faster than clicking you way through complex dialogs.
I'm approaching the effectiveness that i've been used to from the visual
studio + visual assist combo i use for C++ development. Regarding the
build system i've actually surpassed it already, thanks to rebuild and
bud, which require significantly less configuration.