Okay, what happened to my literal strings?

Burton Radons burton-radons at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 6 13:04:30 PDT 2007

So I just installed DMD 2.004 (I thought I had a DMD 2.0 version already
installed), and now, no matter which DMD 2.0 I install (removing the dmd and
dm directories first), this code fails:

'char [] foo = "bar";'

With the error code:

'foo.d(1): Error: cannot implicitly convert expression ("bar") of type
invariant char[3] to char[]'.

The only difference between the versions is that DMD 2.002 and up say
"char[3u]" in the error message instead of "char[3]". All literal strings
fail with this error message. The latest DMD 1.0 works fine, but I need
traits.