Linus says C++ is a horrible language

renoX renosky at free.fr
Thu Sep 6 15:58:01 PDT 2007

John Demme a écrit :
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Bring on the flame war!

Well he's right about the main point: memory and CPU consumption are
'global variable' that cannot be hidden inside libraries/class: many
times the developer use the library not as expected and the performance
suck, it's not truly a problem of C++ more of modular development.

The only way I'd see to fix this is to be able to annotate or deduce a
complexity formula for a function and combine those formula to have an
idea so that the developer may have an idea of the expected performance,
not easy to do automatically and quite time consuming if done by hand :-(

>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57643/focus=57918
>
> Well he's certainly not afraid to speak his mind.  I wonder what he'd have
> to say about D?

I doubt that he would like D too: first he (and the other Linux kernel
developers) is truly a C expert so it'd take a lot to move him from C.

Then the discussion was about git and like Linux kernel, git was coded
for maximum performance: so C makes sense.

That'd said, he's not 100% satisfied of C either as he invented a tool
sparse to add additional checks, so you could say that Linux kernel is
developed in a C-variant not truly in C.

Regards,
renoX